Saturday 19 July 2014

School Days

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I enjoyed my time at secondary school. Some parts of school I didn't enjoy, the occasional bullying, falling out with friends (which happened quite alot) But those experiences made me who I am today. I was one of the kids that used to get work done and pay attention in class. But I also used to have fun. I used to plug headphones into my phone and listen to music in class (one of the benefits of shoulder length hair and blazers...) but it used to help me concentrate and I used to get the work done although I am 99.9% sure my Citzenship teacher knew I listened to music in her class and my Maths teacher definitely knew (I asked his permission!!)

My GCSE choices made sense to me when I picked them in Year 8 (around the time I wanted to be a Journalist) but fast forward to end of Year 9 when I changed my mind to be a Primary School Teacher, Business Studies and Media Studies seemed like the wrong decision (Fast Forward 6 Years and it changed again!!)

I was never one of the 'popular kids' at secondary school. I was quite happy to do my own thing e.g. spend pretty much most of my time in the library helping out but that doesn't mean I was friendless. I had amazing friends, and am still in contact with some of them. Yeah we sometimes had disagreements but it all worked out in the end. Although there was one time where I had to try and juggle spending time with two friends who didn't get on and spending time with my boyfriend at the time which clever solution I came up with was to spend two lunches with each friend and one lunch with my boyfriend...  and unsurprisingly we broke up a short while later (we were 15 and good riddance frankly!!!)

I never went to my Year 11 Prom because that week I went on holiday with my family but to be honest, I don't care that I missed out. For a start my parents saved money as they didn't have to buy a dress and apparently it wasn't all that good anyway!! I also never brought the school photos. Only kept the slip that has the little samples on. After all, after year 7 they never put a watermark on them and the only nice ones are Year 7, 8 and 11. Over Year 9 and 10 I had braces and no fringe (trust me.. I look better with a fringe!!)  so those photos are horrible!!

Honestly... I don't think I would want to change any part of Secondary School. Sure some bits sucked but the good outweighs the bad and it sounds corny but its true, I am who I am because of my experiences in that bright blue blazer (which I still have and still fits, I had the same blazer from year 7 to year 11 which means it must have been quite big in year 7!)

Kirk out!

No comments:

Post a Comment